Coach Mike Sims
As an advocate of ‘fit for life’ and a believer in families who play together, stay together, Coach Mike likes to practice what he preaches. He believes coaches need to be role models in all facets of life and so he is out there training and racing as well as ensuring his family doesn’t come in as second fiddles. Hitting a podium every once in a while should be the gravy, not the raison d’etre for our training. Overall long-term health and well-being should mean more in a well-rounded lifestyle.
However, Coach Mike does believe with the proper dose of determination, organizational skills, and hard work, anybody can finish their race at goal time without leaving their family behind! As a coach and athlete, he realizes that most start with the will power but then need to learn the tricks of the trade to be more efficient in order to balance training, work responsibilities, and family commitments.
While spending 5 years in South Eastern Africa, Coach Mike unlocked his passion for triathlon and multi-stage racing. Along with starting a coaching and personal training business, he re-created himself from a government Policy Analyst to a top age group racer and highly qualified coach.
- Ironman University Certified Coach 2015
- Triathlon South Africa Level 1 Certified Coach 2014
- Triathlon Ontario Certified Coach Community Level 2016
- Personal Trainer and Greco Fitness Instructor at OAC (Ottawa Athletic Club)
- Mike also uses his Life Coach skills as part of his coaching repertoire having obtained a Master of Social Work, Bachelor of Social Work, and a Bachelor of Social Sciences as well as 13 years of working in the Social Work field.
- Finisher of 5 iron and 21 half iron distance events, several multi-stage races, and many more shorter AG podium triathlon finishes.
- 1 x Silver (top 5% worldwide) and 3 x Bronze (top 10%) Ironman All-World Athlete culminating in a spot at the Ironman 70.3 World Champs in Vegas 2012
- 172/3000 Overall Ironman 70.3 South Africa 2012 (qualified and raced Ironman 70.3 World Champs)
- 7th AG Ironman 70.3 South Africa 2015
- 3rd AG Tri-Rock Half Iron 2013
- 3rd AG Sun City Ultra 2015
- 4th AG Ironman 5150 in 2013 & 2014 – both qualified for 5150 championships
- 3rd AG Midmar Ultra half Iron South African Long Course Champs 2014
- 3rd AG Ontario Provincial Long Course Championships 2016
- 10th AG Masters Panorama (4 Stages) Cycling Tour, South Africa 2013